Thursday, December 27, 2012

Hope

We are almost through the holidays and I can't help but notice a subtle shift in the attitudes of the people I have encountered while racing around town.  While hunting for a table in an overstuffed food court, a stranger gladly let me hover over them while they finished the last of their Orange Julius (liquid gold!)  So I could grab their table when they got up.  I offered them a happy holidays and got a smile back, a real smile!  Not the "Oh no a strange has just spoken to me...RUN!" smile I usually get in these situations.  A man seeing that I was with a hungry little one let me get ahead of him in line, so I bought his coffee.  Perhaps it is just wishful thinking, maybe it is.  But it seems to me the recent violence in our country and its resulting heartbreak have reminded some of the entreaty of the season... "Good will toward man"  I'm also reminded of something I recently read 

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.
But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now
mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.” 
 J.R.R. Tolkien,

It was only a matter of time before a Tolkien quote made it into my blog.  Better to get it over with sooner rather than later.

Night Night.


No comments:

Post a Comment